01 October, 2010

New York Spring Fashion Week: 3.1 Phillip Lim

There was a lot of love about Phillip Lim's Spring 2010 collection. Once again somewhat basic and neutral with a luxurious feel, Lim delivered one of the most eye catching collections of the week. I say eye catching mainly because who could possibly look past that baby blue leather? There was nothing else quite like it. The touch of blue amongst a palette of more neutral colours and shades such as nude, black, and white, gave the collection a strong youthful edge. Without the baby blue pieces, I don't feel as if this collection would have had the same instant eye-catching effect. Or, at least not for myself personally speaking. This is mainly because there weren't any other vibrant colours, other than the few metallics (can't believe I'm saying this when I'm always in black), and also because the collection may have lost its New York girl edge. When I say 'New York girl' edge, I'm referring to this whole idea of a laid back, fashion forward, downtown city chick because that's exactly who I imagine wearing Lim's clothing.

However, that's really not to say that it still wouldn't have been beautiful on a whole. The clean cut male-like tailoring using soft, feminine fabrics in addition to the layering makes me want be a preppy. Given that I am far from a preppy, it proves that this was overall a very strong collection that succeeded to meet a really diverse mixture of styles and tastes. For some reason, all those little collars remind me of Leighton Meester in the earlier seasons of Gossip Girl. Thus, as a result of this combined with my obsession with her in general, I couldn't help but almost instantaneously envision her in almost every piece of this collection. This is definitely a complement to Lim because Meester, much a like to Abbey Lee or Taylor Tomasi Hill, could almost sell me anything. Sad? Yes. But, every girl has a style crush that could sell them almost anything if they had the available resources...even if they try and deny it!

On a final note, I was also about as hooked on the accessories in this collection as I was the baby blue leather. Once again, this really isn't all that surprising. Lim's simple, sky high chunky platforms were by far my favourite shoes of the week and the brief-case like bags perfectly topped off the collections preppy feel. If you have 12 minutes to spare, I would really recommend watching the video below. It won't be a waste of your time!




Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Source: Style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment