21 September, 2010

New York Spring Fashion Week: Proenza Schouler

It's hard to admit that I was slightly disappointed with Proenza Schouler's Spring collection. Upon first glance, the clothes didn't feel as if they had the same 'wow-factor' as those in collections past. Rather than embracing their usual bright and eccentric patterns and prints, McCollough and Hernandez chose to tone it down and worked towards creating a more polished and refined, feminine look. For instance, pieces such as the tweed blazer in addition to the use of pastel colours reflected a more sophisticated idea of the Schouler girl. After countless vibrant collections, it could be argued that this new direction taken by the duo provided a breath of fresh air and proved that the Schouler girl is more than a chic New York street girl. The one aspect of this collection which distracted me the most was the use of yellow - a colour of which I am really not a very big fan because I find it is a colour which is hard to be born by most. However, amongst this sea of negativity which I feel I have just created, there were definitely some aspects of this collection which I did have a soft spot for. First and foremost, I really liked the way that they layered a long dress over the top of pants and paired it with leather sandals. Not only was the look completely ready to wear, but it also reminded me of the Schouler that I like best. I also really liked the sheer bralets worn underneath the dresses, as per the bottom picture. Not only do they look good but they are also practical. If I had a dollar for every time that I wanted to buy something that was sheer and didn't because I thought it lacked wearability, I'd probably be a little bit better off financially. But despite that I wasn't head over heels for this collection, McCollough and Hernandez once again successfully created a collection which is ready to wear in all respects.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Source: Style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment